Tomato Preserves

Last Saturday, in The Dominion Post Weekend newspaper, was a review of a new cooking/lifestyle book by New Zealander, Sally Cameron called Grow It, Cook It. The article included a couple of recipes, one being Tomato, Lemon & Chilli Jam. Sounded delicious and not at all complicated - a winning combination. I had to make it, especially as the recipe asked for 1kg of cherry tomatoes and I have a LOT of cherry tomatoes ( pear shaped ones!) to use up from the ever laden tomato plants.

While the jam was bubbling away I sorted out a few jars from the cupboard, washing them and putting in a hot oven for 10 minutes or so. The lids I boiled up separately. Now, I love colour and prettying things up so I started to think about topping the finished jars with a bit of prettiness. I remembered the circles of fabric leftover from making my peg bags. Perfect - after a whip round with the pinking shears.

All finished. Even though the jam bubbled away for at least half an hour, some of the tomatoes retained their pleasing pear shape. I will leave the jam alone for a few weeks now to let the flavours develop. I think it will be delicious, as it smelled so wonderful while cooking. Sally says it is great on an antipasto platter especially with creamy cheeses. Thankyou Sally!



Popular posts from this blog

Lavender Life

Lavender

Ginger Crunch