The Five Inch Square

The five inch square can be a wondrous thing especially when you have the fabric stash to supply many five inch squares - 256 to be precise. Except for the sample quilt that hangs above our bed, I have never actually made a quilt for my honey and me. Thats not to say that I haven't made a fair few quilts over the years but always for others but this one is all mine (or ours).









The colour plan I started out with soon gave way to squares cut from all my favourite fabrics with a few scraps (lots of memory scraps) thrown in because they needed using. I staggered the cutting out over the last month or so inbetween other stuff going on. I sewed in strips randomly putting in what I wanted but making sure I spread the red around as I figured that would be the dominant colour.







All sewn together and white borders added, ready to sandwich together with the filling and backing. I like to hand quilt in the ditch and for the first time will do this with embroidery thread. I will let you know how I get on at a later date.







I received this lovely book last week for my birthday and was delighted to find this "recipe" for a Vintage Linens Quilt inside and even more delighted to realise it was a pretty close match to the vintage quilt I bought last year at the wonderful Vintage Textile Fair.

Remember to left click on any photo to enlarge.

Popular posts from this blog

Lavender Life

Lavender

Ginger Crunch