I said before that I like to make and bake so here are some of the presents I have made for Christmas. Three cushions for three very different people - I really enjoyed creating these items specially for family.
Ginger Crunch - a New Zealand classic with a twist. Lois Daish ( much missed food writer for The Listener a couple of years back) says this version is from the Wholemeal Cafe in Takaka. It is absolutely delicious. Two good sized pieces have been eaten rather quickly already. Base: 150g butter 2 tbsp golden syrup 3/4 cup soft brown sugar 3/4 cup desiccated coconut 1 1/2 cups rolled oats 3/4 cup plain flour 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 2 tsp ground ginger Preheat oven to 175C Line a 20x30cm slice tin Put butter, golden syrup and sugar in pan and melt gently together. Remove pan from heat and mix in all the other ingredients. Press into tin and bake for 15 minutes - I find if I go over this time it goes too crunchy when cool. Mark into squares while still warm and spread with icing. Leave to cool completely (if you can!) before cutting through icing. Icing: 60g butter 120g icing sugar 2 level tbsp golden syrup 3 tsp ground ginger Melt together and beat till smooth.
With the best will in the world, I still haven't managed regular blog posts here. Lots going on re: my lavender filled sachets so if you can please come and see me on my Instagram account you will see very regular posts there. Please click HERE 💜
Making and baking are two of my favourite things to do and Christmas gives me the ideal oppourtunity to do major amounts of both. It was Christmas mincemeat tarts this morning, just a test run of one dozen to check taste and timings. I declare these ones to be perfect and as there are now only a few left I guess they were. Making your own mincemeat is easy with Delia to guide and I always make crumbly orange pastry - its a great combination.