Beautiful surroundings

Yesterday, I drove into town to run a few errands and on the way home I just had to pull over and take a few photos. Yes, I did have the camera in the car - something my dear hubby has insisted I do. He says you never know when a photo opportunity will present itself and how right he was. It was a mild autumn day, a bit cloudy and a bit sunny. We have so much space around here, its one of the many things I love about the New Zealand countryside. If you drive to the end of this road and turn left, drive a few kilometres you will come to our house. The views there are still similar to this one - overhead powerlines, vineyards and trees currently in their autumn colours, background hills and very little road traffic. I even like the rickety fencing.
More beauty - actually a close up shot from the same position as the above one. I think these vineyards belong to the Te Mata Estate which makes very delicious wine.

Only a few hundred metres from home and I had to pull over again. When I turn out of the driveway in the morning to drive to work this is the view I have. It never fails to lift my spirits and make me smile. The craggy hill in the distance is called Te Mata Peak, the sleeping giant. Wherever you go around here this centre point draws you back and guides you home.


After unpacking the car, I went for a walk around the garden to check on a few things - the cats always appear to accompany me on these walks, vying for my attention. This little border under the still green wisteria catches a lot of sun which accounts for the flowering lavender (grown from a stalk plonked in the earth) and what looks like a spring bulb (snow drops?), but it must be an autumn bulb. I like to garden but I would be the first to admit that my knowledge is limited.



Last but not least. I walked towards the back of the garden, down near the smaller walnut tree to pick up a few feijoas from underneath the trees - you can see them in the background. These fragrant little fruits are full of Vitamin C and I can easily eat 6 or 7 at a time, like scooping out an egg. The leaves under this cherry tree are an absolute picture and a fitting end to this blog.




Popular posts from this blog

Lavender Life

Lavender

Ginger Crunch